Hey guys! Sorry that I have been MIA the last two weeks. It’s almost time for midterms so that means that I go into hiding or my cave as Julia and Alex know. Anyways, since it is now the first of October (holy cow), I am officially starting my fitness journey. I started in August but near mid-September I got sick and had health issues so I had to take two weeks off in order to heal but now I’m back! I’m starting my workout routine of 4-5 days a week and eating healthy 6/7 days.
I wanted to kick off October by making a yummy, yet filling lunch. I was at the grocery store and decided I needed to buy more meat besides chicken, so I bought turkey burgers! These ones had peppers, tomatoes and spices already mixed into the meat so that means less work for me. Below is the picture of the bag I bought and the nutritional information.
They have a good amount of protein and are a bit high in fat but most of it cooked out anyways and if you limit fat throughout the rest of the day, you will be fine.
After buying these, I had a craving for a nice healthy burger so I got to work and made up a recipe.
Southwestern Turkey Burger
- 1 Turkey burger
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/4 cup of sweet corn
- 1/4 cup of diced pepper (any color you like)
- 1/2 of a lime
- 1 big leaf of green lettuce
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Chilli powder to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First turn on your oven (microwave oven or conventional) to broil
- Place burger patty onto broiler pan lined with foil
- When oven is heated, place burger into oven and cook for 8-10 minutes
- While your burger is cooking, it is time to make the guacamole
- Cut up half of an avocado into chunks and smash with fork or smasher thing (I don’t know the technical term for it) until decently mashed in the bowl
- Add cooked corn, diced bell peppers, and squeeze half a lime into the bowl
- Add in spices, Tabasco, salt and pepper to your liking
- Mix all ingredients together and place in fridge until burger is done
- On a plate, place a big leaf of green lettuce. Top with spinach
- After burger is done, place on top of the lettuce and spinach
- Top burger with guacamole
*disclaimer: don’t put pan too close to heat source in conventional oven unless you want to eat charcoal. I definitely learned the hard way. *face palm*
Now you can use a whole wheat bun or Ezekiel bun but I decided to try and get my veges in for the day. I usually need some kind of dressing in order to eat lettuce or spinach but with the guacamole and burger, it tasted delicious and I didn’t miss the extra calories one bit! You can also do a lettuce wrap if you would like to make it more burger-like. I just ate it with a fork and knife and loved every minute. I also had a half cup of vanilla Greek yogurt by light and fit with a big handful of grapes on the side.
Anyways, that’s all for tonight. I hope some of you get around to making this sometime soon
Now it’s time for me to go prepare my overnight oats for tomorrow! You will all be seeing a recipe for those soon, as well as the one for the chocolate banana peanut butter protein smoothie I made today, mmm mmm mmm 😉
Written by: Morgan Reneau